Diabetes is a disease that prevents the body from properly using blood sugar called glucose. More than 24 million people in the United States have diabetes, and another 5.7 million people don't even know they have it. Left untreated, diabetes can lead to serious health complications or even death. Research has shown that proper care -- eating the right foods, getting enough exercise and using the proper medication -- is the key to avoiding complications. The Diabetes Education Center helps patients with diabetes learn how to take care of themselves.
The Diabetes Education Center is located at the Yuma Regional Outpatient Clinics at 2851 S. Avenue B Building 25, Yuma, Arizona 85364. The staff includes registered nurses and registered dietitians who are Certified Diabetes Educators. They offer a wide range of support services to those with diabetes and their family members, including:
- Individual appointments for adults and children
- Group classes in English and Spanish
- Diabetes self-management skills training
- Insulin administration training
- Community education in screening for diabetes
- Diabetes support group
- Camp Celebrations summer camp for kids
- Back-to-School with Diabetes educational event
For more information, or to schedule an appointment, contact the YRMC Diabetes Education Center at 928-336-7309.