1 small zucchini cut into ¼ inch slices
1 small peeled cucumber cut into ¼ inch slices
1 seeded green or red bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch slices lengthwise
2 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces, then quarters
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fresh basil or dried basil
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
6 slices whole-wheat or whole-grain bread
6 slices low-sodium, sliced ham or sliced turkey (about 2 oz each)
2 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1 medium tomato, cut into quarter-inch slices
1 head romaine or other head lettuce, separated into leaves, washed
- Combine the zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper and green onion in a bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, wine vinegar, black pepper, oregano, basil and garlic in a small covered jar, shake well and pour over the vegetables, and toss together to mix the flavors.
- Place the bread on a plate and place a lettuce leaf on top.
- Add the turkey or ham and mozzarella cheese. Fold the meat slices if they are long, so they don’t go much longer than the bottom edge of the bread. Top each with a tomato slice.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture over the ham and cheese and cover with another lettuce leaf.