Just as the Yuma community has experienced significant growth over the years, so has Yuma Regional Medical Center. What began in 1958 as a 75-bed community hospital has now become a 406-bed acute care facility that offers comprehensive, state-of-the-art medical care and services to the residents of Yuma and the surrounding communities.
While Yuma Regional Medical Center has undergone many changes over the past 50 plus years, one thing has always remained constant: our unwavering commitment to our patients and their families. That commitment will remain strong as we continue to evolve to meet the changing needs of our growing community.
Our major milestones:
1958 – Parkview Hospital opens on Avenue A with 75 beds, replacing the former Yuma County General Hospital.
1961 – Management of the hospital is assumed by the Baptist Hospital Association of Arizona and the name is changed to Parkview Baptist Hospital.
1972 – The Yuma community takes over management of the facility and the not-for-profit hospital is renamed Yuma Regional Medical Center.
1975 – The Foundation of Yuma Regional Medical Center is founded with an initial purpose of raising funds for medical equipment and later adopts the mission of supporting a healthy community through philanthropy.
1988 – First expansion of the emergency department.
1993 – Women and Children Services building opens.
1999 – Yuma Regional Medical Plaza is constructed.
2004 – New hospital tower is completed, adding a 42-bed ICU and Heart Center.
2012 – YRMC becomes a teaching facility and launches YRMC’s first graduate medical education program in Family and Community Medicine. Yuma Regional Medical Center Family Medicine Center opens.
2013 – Yuma Regional Medical Center Specialty Clinic opens, with specialties such as Psychiatry, Electrophysiology and Endocrinology.
2014 – Yuma Regional Medical Center Cancer Center opens, providing comprehensive cancer care in one location.
First transaortic valve replacement (TAVR) procedure is performed at the Heart Center.
2016 – New state-of-the art, 72-bed Emergency Department opens, marking the third time the Emergency Department has been expanded in the hospital’s history.